Robert Gordon’s College
With the end of the Hospital, boarding was phased out, but in keeping with Robert Gordon’s wishes, poor pupils continued to be supported by various means-tested foundations and bursaries. Competitive entrance examinations were introduced. The Governors also set up day and evening classes in technical subjects for young people and adults from throughout Aberdeen. Such was the success of this venture, attracting 1254 students within four years, that it led to the establishment of a Technical College in 1910. This eventually became Robert Gordon University in 1992.
The College has seen many changes over the years; new subjects were introduced with new staff to teach them, including the first women teachers in 1916; a Junior School was opened in 1925, followed by a Kindergarten; new buildings were added to the site including the MacRobert Hall, a swimming pool and a Library. In 1937 Sillerton House, the “Bunk”, was established to offer accommodation to pupils whose parents lived far from Aberdeen, many of them abroad. This Boarding House ran for 58 years, finally closing in 1995. After sport was played for some 70 years at Seafield, pupils saw a new Playing Field open in 1992 at Countesswells. Major changes to the administration of the school occurred, including the change to fully independent status in 1985 and the introduction of the first girls in 1989.
Robert Gordon’s College celebrated its 250th anniversary in 2000 and continues to be a successful co-educational school. With a considerable number of pupils receiving some form of financial assistance, it remains true to the charitable principles of the Founder.