The Biology Department consists of nine members of staff and teaches the subjects of Biology and Human Biology.
Our aims are:
- To develop an interest and enthusiasm for Biology.
- To develop a curiosity and understanding of the impact that Biology has on our lives, the environment and on society.
- To focus on developing knowledge and understanding and skills in problem solving, inquiry, investigation and analytical thinking.
- To develop a range of skills for life and skills for work, including numeracy, literacy, and skills in information and communication technology (ICT).
- To prepare pupils for external SQA examinations.
Pupils follow a common course in S1 and S2 and then have the option of taking the National 5 course in S3 and S4. As part of our National 5 course, pupils also complete the Added Value Unit for National 4 which in Biology takes the form of an assignment.
The CfE Higher courses in Biology is available in S5 and is also taken by some S6 pupils. The CfE Higher Human Biology course will run from 2016/17. The CfE Advanced Higher Biology course is studied in S6 by pupils who have shown significant aptitude and interest in the subject.
S5 pupils have the opportunity to apply for a Bursary from the Nuffield Foundation to carry out scientific research during the summer between S5 and S6. Many of our pupils have gained much from this experience, where they have spent up to eight weeks working in a university research laboratory.