Following a strategic review of our registered care services, Robert Gordon’s College has an exciting new opportunity for a highly skilled and experienced Childcare Services Manager to join our team.
At Robert Gordon’s College we have two registered care services; Early Years (Nursery), and Out of Hours Care provision. Our care services are a fundamental part of our provision and we have a number of families with children who attend these services.
Reporting directly to the Head of Junior School, the position of Childcare Services Manager carries line management responsibility for both the Nursery and Out of School Club care teams and will support continuous professional development of the teams whilst working towards achieving and maintaining sector leading care for the children who attend our services.
Our newly refurbished Nursery opened in August 2019 and offers a first class environment and excellent facilities. In it, we offer full day, year round care service provision for children from the age of three.
Our Out of Hours Care service provides wrap around care for children in our Junior School both before and after school. This service is run in our newly refurbished dining hall with dedicated office space and provision for storage of equipment and materials.
Our service provision operates from 7.15am to 6.00pm Monday to Friday and the successful applicant will work a 40 hour week at times mutually agreed with their line manager. It is expected that the Childcare Services Manager will work at least one early and one late shift each week so they are available to the parents of the children in our care at some point in the week. A level of flexibility will be required in order to meet the needs of the services.
The post holder is expected to work in close collaboration with both the Deputy Heads in Junior School and the Teacher in Nursery so that there is cohesion between the education and care elements of the provision including appropriate transition and support for children moving from Nursery to Junior School.
This role will often be one of the first points of contact between Robert Gordon’s College and parents, authorities and other external contacts so a friendly and personable, yet professional approach is key to ensuring that the correct first impression is created and that the ongoing relationship is maintained in a positive fashion. The successful incumbent must also be able to relate well, and interact comfortably with young children and be approachable and patient with those who visit the Nursery and Out of Hours Care services in Junior School.
With the responsibility of ensuring full compliance with all registered body requirements, the post of Childcare Services Manager will have a visible presence in both settings on a daily basis and will be available to parents with children in either setting. The post holder will provide a consistent point of contact for both children and parents/guardians who move on from Nursery to Junior School and have a requirement for Out of Hours Care.
Applicants for this position must be highly competent in both written and spoken English and will be asked to demonstrate this as part of the interview process. Comprehensive knowledge of working with Microsoft office and Google Drive is also required although full training on the use of the College systems will be given as part of the successful candidate’s induction to the post, with ongoing training provided as part of best practice and continuous professional development.
This post is subject to the safe recruitment process required by the regulatory bodies associated with the services operated at Robert Gordon’s College, including a PVG check.
Remuneration and Benefits
A competitive salary is on offer for this new and exciting post, dependant on qualifications, skills and experience that are brought to the position.
Benefits of working at Robert Gordon's College include a very competitive salary and a benefits package that includes enhanced pension provision, a Bike to Work Scheme, and internal & external Health and Wellbeing support that incorporates a comprehensive Employee Assistance Programme provision, DSE allowance for eyewear (where it is required for work), a funded flu jab programme and an assisted computer purchase scheme.
Visit the Apply Online tab above to submit your completed application form, along with a CV and covering letter.
At Robert Gordon’s College we believe that diversity drives innovation and a strong community. We welcome applications from all candidates with the required professional qualifications and experience. Our commitment to inclusion across race, gender, age, religion, identity, and experience drives us forward every day as we strive to ensure our staff and pupils all feel equally valued and important. The College actively encourages professional development and supports staff who want to pursue ongoing training or qualifications.
It is essential that the post holder will have:
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills
- A willingness and ability to work collaboratively with others
- The ability to successfully manage sector leading care provision services
- The desire to motivate and nurture others to help them to achieve the best from their careers within our care services
- The ability to communicate with children in a caring and reassuring way whilst supporting professional boundaries
- A robust working knowledge of the Care Inspectorate and Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) expectations and standards
- Full registration with the SSSC as a Registered Manager, or to achieve this within the first 6 months in post
- A BA or SVQ Level 4 in an appropriate subject or the ability to work towards/complete a suitable qualification within the agreed time period, anticipated to be 6 months in post
- An excellent working knowledge of the GIRFEC principles
- Robust operational knowledge and ability in essential computer programmes relevant to the smooth and efficient daily operation of our care services (e.g., Google applications and an MIS)
- Experience of prioritising and planning workloads, including self management
It is desirable that the post holder will:
- Have experience of managing a registered care service
- Be qualified to deliver Child Protection training and guidance
- A First Aid certificate appropriate for paediatric care
- A Food Hygiene certificate
- An understanding of Childcare Partnership