Higher Applications of Mathematics
Course Start Date: August 2023
The course aims to:
- equip candidates with the mathematical and statistical literacy skills they need for life, work and further study in a wide range of curricular areas
- develop candidates’ financial literacy in real-life contexts
- show candidates how they can use appropriate digital technology to manipulate and model mathematical, statistical and financial information
- develop candidates’ mathematical reasoning skills so that they can generalise, build arguments, draw logical conclusions, assess risk, and make informed decisions in familiar and unfamiliar situations
- develop candidates’ range of mathematical skills so that they can analyse, interpret and present data and numerical information
- provide candidates with the skills to appraise quantitative information critically, considering modelling or statistical assumptions
The course contains a comprehensive range of skills within the following key areas:
- Mathematical modelling
- Statistics and probability
- Planning and decision making
The course assessment has two components, which will be assessed externally:
|Component 1: question paper||80||2 hours and 30 minutes|
Component 2: project
Please note that these arrangements are subject to change.
To ensure they have access to all the learning resources on offer students will need to ensure they have a device that meets the following technical requirements.
has installed the Chrome (recommended), Apple Safari or Mozilla Firefox browser.
has an integrated microphone and webcam, or ability to support a plug-in webcam with microphone
has an internet connection with a minimum of 2mbps to support standard definition video to allow participation in the live Google Meet sessions.
A keyboard and mouse to allow interfacing with the device, this will be necessary for the delivery of class tests during the session.