Due to the windy conditions affecting the Tay Road Bridge on Saturday morning, the matches against St Leonard’s School from St Andrews were cancelled. The boys who had reached Stonehaven on the bus turned back to Aberdeen and joined the other teams training at Countesswells. It was great to see all the boys out on the field, building on their skills from last term in preparation for the fixtures ahead.


Girls’ Hockey

The 1st XI travelled to Bell Sports Centre, Perth, on Saturday morning for the U18 Girls Indoor Cup. In their opening match the girls lost to the tournament favourites, Strathallan, moving on to play Hutcheson’s Grammar in the second pool match. We lost two quick counters in the first 90 seconds but, as play went on, the girls went ahead 3-2 with a frantic two minutes to play. Desperate defending at the death only allowed Hutchie to equalize, allowing our girls to advance to the semi-finals against Perthshire. All guns were blazing and each of the girls played a part in the comfortable 4-1 win. Getting to any final is sometimes a hazardous journey into the unknown and this was the first time in 13 years that we have reached a premier final. A stunning start put us 2-0 ahead and then 3-2 at half time. An odd decision stopped us from going 4-3 up and in the end the match finished with a win to Strathallan. The girls gave 100% and should be pleased with their contribution in making the final a thriller. PoM went to Eilidh S.

Back at home, we welcomed Albyn and St Margaret’s to Countesswells. The 2nd XI won their match against Albyn 1st XI, scoring in the last 15 seconds of the match. The girls played really well, linking passes and attacking with pace and intensity. PoM were Gemma G and Anna L who were consistently strong throughout and set up the last goal with Gemma tapping it in. 

The S3A team also won against Albyn. The girls played a good game overall; they had all the pressure at the beginning but against the run of play, Albyn struck first goal. The girls remained hungry and coach Miss Howie was happy with their fight. Anna W scored a goal after a long pass through and then scored the next at a penalty corner. PoM was Anna and goalie Naomi for her brilliant saves keeping us in the game.

S1A played a very close and exciting game against Albyn that could have gone either way, but the girls fought hard and scored the all important winning goal. It was the girls’ first ever 11-a-side match and they played very well, executing some excellent defensive corners. Goalie Morven was awarded PoM for her impressive saves. Miss Stephen was very proud of her team. 

There was a great start to the New Year for our P6 girls. What they are learning at training paid off on Saturday morning with a win against St Margaret’s. They kept their structure and moved the ball very well together as a team, finding the goal on numerous occasions. They made excellent interceptions too. Well done to first time goalkeeper Lotte M who saved everything that came her way.

It was more of a tough morning for P7 who lost their match to St Margaret’s. They conceded an early goal and were on the back foot from then on. The three goals they scored came from good wide play and options being high up the pitch. Despite the score there were some positives shining through.

The S2A and B teams enjoyed playing in the North District Indoor Event at the Beach Leisure Centre against Cults Academy and Albyn. The S2As won four out of five games and the S2Bs won two, drew two and lost one game. There were excellent performances all round and the girls loved the indoor experience.


Boys’ Hockey

The U15s had a tough start to the year with a game against a very strong and capable Strathallan. The team lost, having being out muscled and out paced by the tempo that the opponents played at. The boys had some creative phases of team play but seemed unsettled by the intensity of the game. Positive points to be taken are the boys keeping their work rate high and trying to play some good hockey.

On a blustery morning at Countesswells the Under 14 boys came up against a very quick and skillful Strathallan side who had played together for a couple of years. This experience plus the high intensity and directness of their play was too much for our side, especially in the first half. After the interval the boys competed far better only conceding a couple of goals so this lifted the spirits somewhat and we began to pass the ball around using more width in the play. This allowed us far more possession that previously and led to some nice passages of play. This was a difficult start to the year and we were certainly rusty after the Christmas break. Aiden O deserves special mention for his first outing in goal as he was a busy young man. The boys deserve much credit for persevering and keeping going in tough circumstances.



The 1st VII girls played well after the Christmas break in their match against Cults Academy on Thursday, running out lots of combinations and winning the match. There were notable performances from both Hannah L and Lucy G who controlled the centre of the court and made many interceptions. PoM was awarded to Ailsa P who looked very sharp on court with good tight marking, many intercepts and good supporting play up the court. 

The Junior team also played against Cults Academy on Thursday but were slightly outpaced and fumbled the ball a few too many times resulting in them losing the match. PoM went to Adeola for her dramatic change of pace and determination to gain and keep position along with repeatedly interrupting the play of our opponents via intercepts or tips.


Team of the Week 

Girls 1st XI Hockey are Team of the Week after coming 2nd in the Scottish Hockey U18 Indoor Cup. They played a close game in the final against Strahallan and were a credit to the College with their performances. This was a great achievement to reach the final. Well done girls.